Thursday, November 10, 2011

For Laura!


In completion of a painting I somewhat struggled with and post conversation with a friend about the end result of said struggle or in context struggles.

It's hard to paint for a friend. You have all this emotion between you, the artwork, your day, your desire to be good and kind...and produce something that tells someone elses story with your hand.

November is the month that my friends brother passed away a few years ago. I didn't know what month it was until Laura posted on Facebook. I was trying to tighten it up...put a few finishing lines on it that were intended to make it great. I kept getting kinda...nervous I guess. Thinking about her...and how difficult of a situation that must be. How strong and amazing she is...our conversation this summer about her family and her ties to her current location.

I spend two days really struggling with it. I just thought to myself...how can I make a difference in her life? How can I maybe give her a smile or a random escape. It's difficult to paint for friends.

But..I nailed it. I just kept using it to push me a little further with the work and as frustrated as I was; I was determined to produce something really great that was about her and that tells her story.

She surfs, she travels, she's a great daughter, an always smiling wife, a fabulous jeweler...in fact she is the ONLY Talula Jeweler that I want in the project because she defines a lot of who I want Talula to be. She's a sister, a friend and a quiet, peaceful soul. I am grateful for her in my life.

AND!!! she taught me how to paste a random head on FB. (putnam). lol. It still makes me laugh.

xoxo Laura. Thank you for letting me make this artwork for you. It's often hard to explain the importance of engaging in emotion and struggle in art. Not that EITHER of us intended a simple photograph to turn into a lesson of sorts...but what else is art for?

Happy November!

No comments:

Post a Comment