Monday, October 15, 2012

"Those fishing lures thrown in the cold and clean..."

Sometimes I just walk into a space and think;
I want to put art here.



I want to tell the story of this place, these people, this energy.

It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes I'm asked to put art somewhere and when I walk in,
I just know its not the vibe I want.

Asheville Adventure Rentals has a GREAT vibe, GREAT energy...I only wish that going into this art project I had personally had more time to use their services and get on the water with them. There is, however, only so much time in the day and I'm grateful that I am as slammed as I have been. I will never complain about this being my work.



So, River Link in Asheville is a big reason why AAR was able to get the funding to get their business up and going. River Link "is a regional non-profit spearheading the economic and environmental revitalization of the French Broad River and its tributaries as a place to live, work and play."

http://www.riverlink.org/

This is the reason why I decided to use 1. Found wood, materials, and "doors" as visuals in the artwork. River Link has opened many doors for the area and for businesses on the French Broad.

That's a pretty great story to tell in art.

2. Dictonary pages for me are always about the value of words. "Choose your words impeccably", speak honestly, mean what you say. The pages chosen for this body of work will tell the story of what it is AAR is doing on the water. Adventure. River. Stream. etc...


3. Inspiration: the inspiration for me for this body of work came from the past month that I spent studying and sketching the way the birds swoop into the valley. The invisible lines they make in the sky. The way they gracefully soar and trail. I fell in love with the movement of it and decided to use it in this body of work.



Still havent decided on a song. I have been listening to A LOT of music hoping it hits me. I think I'm just stuck on the Iron and Wine song Flightless Bird, American Mouth. I'm just not 100% convinced I don't want to use it because of what it means to me, personally, vs finding a song that tells a bigger story about the artwork.
"Now I'm a fat house cat
Nursing my sore blunt tongue
Watching the warm poison rats
Curl through the wide fence cracks
Pissing on magazine photos
Those fishing lures thrown in the cold and clean
Blood of Christ mountain stream"



 It will happen. No reason to force it. I keep wishing Bob Dylan would give me something. Talula loves Bob Dylan. That's on the side of one of my artworks out in the world somewhere. So great. xo

 Suggestions always welcomed and appreciated. xo. Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment