Monday, March 8, 2010

Maryanne P. Maryanne H. Talula Love Bottoms.


I've been meaning to write a biography.
I sit down to do it and again....all this
nonsensical stuff hits the page and...

I walk away. From me. From it all.
Because I have no idea who I am.

Talula.

I guess it starts there.

What does one do when they realize that they
cannot possibly achieve their desired goals if they remain - themselves;
fearing failure.

What if...simply creating a character that has all of the things you
need; all of the tools - in fact...creates a freedom;
So that you can actually do it.

Pick Up Your Cant's.

My name is Maryanne Pappano. I sign my artwork Maryanne Hugues
because that is my maiden name. If that alone is not an identity
crisis I don't know what is.
I believe that inside all of us there is an artist waiting to
burst out in color, flavor, excitement and want.

Talula Love Bottoms was created because of that above statement.

But who does that make me. AKA.
I honestly have no idea what name to sign it under half the time. There will
be a time when it is hard to collect this periods work because of the inconsistency
of signage. Ha.

Obviously Maryanne is having issues across the board.

A biography. I have no real memory of where my love or need for art
started. I just got to a point in my life where I eventually had
to ask myself a serious question - and that question was.

Are you an artist?
I answered yes.

I wanted to be a mom. I wanted to be Fanny Brennan who
raised her kids and then became the artist she wanted to be
for herself. That's really who I wanted to be.

It's not who I am.

I am; however - the artist that is trying to find a place for all of
us who find a struggle in saying that we can, we are, and we will when
it comes to the arts.

And that term will be; "Put your Talula on".

We all have an inner Talula - and she will never be judged. She is
great no matter what. And she can.

Right now. That's who I am. I am my own Talula.


Maryanne Pappano
AKA Maryanne Hugues
AKA Talula Love Bottoms

2 comments:

  1. an identity crisis of sorts...but an identity crisis is only a crisis if the holder of the identity allows it to become one...if she doesn't, then it is not a crisis at all; rather, it is merely a process of life and of living. we all struggle with our identities at some point in time ~ some more severely than others. but it is what we learn from the struggle that then defines us. the talula who exists within all of us is an ever-changing definition of ourselves, whether she is a friend, a character, a muse, an artist...or all of these in one. she is every person within every person at every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The identity is "a subjective sense as well as an observable quality of personal sameness and continuity, paired with some belief in the sameness and continuity of some shared world image. As a quality of unself-conscious living, this can be gloriously obvious in a young person who has found himself as he has found his communality. In him we see emerge a unique unification of what is irreversibly given--that is, body type and temperament, giftedness and vulnerability, infantile models and acquired ideals--with the open choices provided in available roles, occupational possibilities, values offered, mentors met, friendships made, and first sexual encounters (Erikson, 1970)."

    According to Erikson's stages, the onset of the identity crisis is in the teenage years, and only individuals who succeed in resolving the crisis will be ready to face future challenges in life. But the identity crisis may well be recurring, as the changing world demands us to constantly redefine ourselves. Erikson suggested that people experience an identity crisis when they lose "a sense of personal sameness and historical continuity". Given today's rapid development in technology, global economy, dynamics in local and world politics, one might expect identity crises to recur more commonly now than even thirty years ago, when Erikson formed his theory."

    all people go through some sort of identity crisis like the person above mentioned. and although this term is currently, more often applied to people who feel they were "born in the wrong body" it doesn't always apply to that. everyone asks themselves "who am i" at least once in their life, and if someone says they never have then they are lying. and it is those people who continuously ask themselves that question that emerge with a greater sense of everything. bc as hard as it is to figure out, they have the courage to face that challenge. and as the above person mentioned, "it is what we learn from this struggle" that begins to define us. make us stronger. brings our confidence back to us and allows us to live without fear.

    ReplyDelete